Thursday, October 1, 2009

Luke

Luke has given us quite the scare, and we still don't know if it is over! We are praying that it is. He had a fever for 2 weeks. After going to the Dr. and still having no results, I decided to take him into urgent care. They drew his blood and told me his WBC is elevated, and all his liver levels were elevated too. He told me to take him straight to Loma Linda Children's Medical Center (this is on 9/28/09). After more blood draws, chest x-ray, and abdominal ultrasound, the ER doctor came in and told us they were temporarily moving us to the oncology floor (cancer) for more testing which included a bone marrow biopsy. That was the lowest point of the day, I cried on and off all day. I tried to be quiet, so Luke wouldn't hear me, sometimes I would hide in Travis shoulder and just cry.

Being admitted to the oncology floor was so sad. Little kids everywhere sick, no hair, and getting chemo. I couldn't imagine this being Luke's life. About 9pm the Oncologist came in and said they decided not do the bone marrow biopsy for now, and will look more down the infection route. The world was lifted off my shoulders.



They discharged him 3 days later with Epstein Bar Virus / Mononucleosis. I felt like we dodged a big bullet. Once home I have started to scare myself again, realizing that mono/leukemia symptoms are very similar. I hope he has not been misdiagnosed. We have a follow up appointment with the Oncologist this Wed. I am crossing my fingers that all his blood work is still stable. If not they will most likely do the bone marrow biopsy.

Thanks to everyone who have been so supportive during this hard week. We have truly felt your prayers. Mom, I love you for flying out here to rescue me. Having your mom in times of trial is one of the best things. Luke, we love you so hang in there!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Meredith- I didn't know! Wow- that is very scary. I will totally keep you guys in my prayers. Please keep us updated. We love you!

Leticia said...

We were praying for you and little Luke! I hope all is well now!
We fasted all day, and my girls were so concerened! If you need anything...let me know!
Hang in there...We love you guys!
Leticia & Family

Amye Kay said...

Mere, I am still thinking about you. It was great to talk to you, & let me know how Wednesday goes. I think Maddie is getting sick now! I am fighting something off too. And Taylor was sick all weekend for 4 days!

Josh and Jaime said...

I had no idea. Poor little guy. I hope everything goes great on Wednesday. We are sending love your way.

Lindsey Lou said...

I hope everything goes good this Wednesday. I feel really bad. I am praying for you little Luke! Good luck!

Jeff and Aimee said...

No wonder I haven't seen you at the gym. I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for Luke and the rest of you, too.

Salisbury's said...

I feel so horrible I never called. The kids have be very worried and ALWAYS remember him in our prayers. I hope everything goes good today. We are thinking of Luke and your family. I am so glad your mom was able to come and help.