Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Solar Cooking

I have braved and conquered the scary thought of cooking with a solar oven! I have ignored the topic till now. It was actually really easy, and pretty fun. My friend Patty came over and made it so simple to understand. I did the constructing one day, and then tested cooking in them another. I knew if I didn't just do it now I never would. So here is how everything turned out in about 3 hours of baking in the sun.......My friend Jennie happened to drop by and decided to join in on the fun.

Solar ovens at work
Rice (you have to cook in black jars)

Pinto Beans with bacon
Saucy chicken with cream cheese
Bread that didn't look too pretty, but tasted yum!
Everything tasted soooo good. I was so excited........if you can't tell by this picture. Travis took the picture and said " Now there is a woman proud of her work!" I was really beaming, I know that sounds funny, but I felt so accomplished. I couldn't believe the power this little knowledge has given me to be more thoroughly prepared for my family. Solar brownies anyone?!

Thank you Patty for empowering me, I could not have done it without you!!

4 comments:

Amye Kay said...

I want to know how to make that. It would be awesome for a class I am going to teach in September on getting back to the basics. We need to chat!

Kristen said...

Now you must share your knowledge.

LaRose Crew said...

Mere - are you ok? I don't even have a solor oven. You are now carry the food storage rock star title. I'm so proud of you. Will you get me one when you draw our names for christmas?

The Browns said...

That's my girl!! Love Mom in Florida