Monday, February 14, 2011

To My Husband on Valentine’s Day 2005

This is a poem I wrote a few years back about mine and Travis's journey together....


To My Husband on Valentine’s Day 2005


Travis, we met so long ago

Up in Rexburg in the snow

We instantly got along

Talking, laughing, and singing songs

On our first date we danced the night away

Enjoying every moment, I didn’t know what to say



We separated at Christmas time

You called, I wrote, hinting you could be mine

Seeing you again was an exciting bliss

You, having waited, gave me our first kiss

Valentine’s came, and we were a fun couple of two

You revealed to me saying “I love you”



At the end of school we were so heart broken to say goodbye

We held each other close, all we could do was cry

You went to your house for summer, and I went to mine

Letters, packages, and late night phone calls took up our time

You flew out to Florida to visit me

We went to the beach and knew we were meant to be

I went up to Washington, enjoyed the farm and the view

The corn fields, the tractors, and the combine too



Then you came to Idaho to say our final goodbye

You were leaving for your mission, we hugged and we cried

As you worked diligently serving the Lord

I studied Nursing school and wrote you every Sunday after attending my ward

After two long years you came home

I went to the airport, and no longer would be alone

As an honorable missionary there would be NO hug for me

But in the car you still secretly played footsies

You had school to finish at Ricks

I lived in Provo and cared for the sick

You asked me to marry you in a garden of roses

I loved my ring, holding my hand in fun poses

The wedding finally came on a cold December day

We then sealed our love that would forever stay

I feel so blessed to have found my soul mate

My life is enriched to have you as my eternal date



We now have children and you are so good to make them smile when they’re sad

Our kids did something special in heaven to have you granted as their dad

I am so lucky to lie each night by your side to dream

It is my prayer that we can grow old together as a team

Loving you has completed my life

Thank you for choosing me to be your wife!



By Meredith Salisbury

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Meredith, You write some wonderful poetry!! You probably don't know, but your great grandfather, Moroni Lazenby, wrote poetry, and your grandfather, LeRoy Nielson had a poetry book that I found after he died.
Love, Mom